DAY 5: Thamesville to Port Burwell, Ontario

After a fix-it-yourself continental breakfast in our B&B suite, we got out at the crack of dawn. We were on the road before 8:00 and quickly froze. It was only 27 degrees (F). Hearing that it was to warm up later, I wore my tights over my bike shorts, a long sleeve tee shirt over my jersey, my thinner waterproof socks under my regular socks, but that wasn't enough. I had to stop for my full-fingered gloves, and my Polartec® coat. I couldn't find my warm hat. After about an hour in the cold, we stopped for coffee (me) and hot chocolate (Wendell) at a great little convenience store. As the sun rose higher, it wasn't long before we were stripping off layers.

Instead of following highway 3 ("number 3") as I had last year, we decided to veer south toward Lake Erie and follow the new Adventure Cycling route toward Port Dover. Though it was undoubtedly further and hillier, the route was spectacular. Traffic was almost as light as the Alaska Highway and we had brisk tailwinds.

Riding along, we saw antique rail cars, fishing boats and tobacco drying.

With the sun setting at around 7:00, we had to start looking for a place to stay around 5:30. Reaching Port Burwell, we rode past some cabins for rent, but didn't see anybody about and didn't like the looks of the place, so sought out the Grey Gables B&B that was listed on the AC map. A note at the Grey Gables advised to check with the owner in the house next door, but there was nobody home, so we went to the only restaurant we saw and inquired there about the B&B. They said that the owner was around and suggested that we try calling him while stopping there for dinner. When I called the B&B, there was no answer and no answering machine, but a few minutes later, while we were eating our Pickerel dinners, the waitress said I had a phone call. It was Jim, the Grey Gable B&B owner, who had what we call "caller ID." He said he had to be at a meeting at 7:30, so we finished our dinners and rode there.

We rented two rooms in the finely renovated old home. The rooms were on the second floor again. This time we stored our bicycles in the kitchen. After unpacking, we headed back to the restaurant for dessert.

After 90 miles, I was so exhausted that it took all the energy I had just to take a shower. I didn't manage to get anything entered in this journal before the frequency of my yawns forced me to give it up. The soft pillows, thick comforter and wonderful bed made me feel as though I was sleeping on a cloud. I was out in seconds.

90 miles

Tailwinds home page